Some recipes are loved by one and all, irrespective of the age group. They require no acquired taste and people just can’t resist them. Pulled pork sandwich is one such recipe, which makes everyone’s mouth watery instantaneously.
But with the current shift of consumers towards veganism, is it possible to recreate the flavors of the delicious pulled pork sandwich in a vegan way?
The answer is a big YES! Luckily, some plant based products can be used to create the same taste and texture as that of pulled pork. The ingredient that is in the limelight these days is Jack-fruit.
The flavor of jack-fruit is described as somewhere between pineapple and banana. With the combination of some more ingredients, it perfectly replicates the mouthfeel of pulled pork. According to studies, it helps in reducing the LDL levels, regulates blood pressure, is an excellent source of protein, and may help treat type-2 Diabetes.
Now that we’ve seen some health benefits of Jack-fruit, let’s transform it into a heavenly pulled pork sandwich, the vegan way.
Ingredients Required for 6 sandwiches:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups jack-fruit, either fresh or canned
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup vegan barbecue sauce
- Vegan Buns
- Vegan Coleslaw
- Cut open the jack-fruit. Brushing your knife with oil makes this process easier.
- Rinse and dry the jack-fruit flesh.
- Pour 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan along with the onion and garlic.
- Give it a nice stir and then add the jack-fruit flesh.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin powder, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, vegan Worcestershire, liquid smoke.
- Stir well and add in the vegetable stock and let it simmer for 45 minutes.
- Transfer the mix onto a foil lined baking tray.
- Pop it in the oven and bake at 350°F/ 180°C for 90 minutes.
- Take it out from the oven and add the vegan barbecue sauce and put the tray back in the oven at same temperature for 15 minutes.
- Assemble the Sandwich on a vegan bun and don’t forget the vegan coleslaw.
- Finally the last step is probably the best i.e. Dig In!
If you’re a visual learner, the video might be a great help. Click the link below.
Also, if you’re interested in more vegan substitutes for meat, check out this article, by clicking HERE.
Also, if you have interests in learning about the Meat-less Meats, do check our article.