Sweets are like the ultimate celebration of life. They add sweetness to both, the palate and life.
But with the vegan wave, many of the traditional sweets and desserts are evolving. They are being transformed into their vegan replacements so that everyone can add a little more sweetness to their lives. So, here we have the easiest and equally sinful recipe for the vegan version of Blueberry Cheesecake.
Blueberry is a fruit packed with most number of health benefits. They are enriched with powerful anti-oxidants and vitamins. Blueberries can help heart health, bone strength, skin health, blood pressure, diabetes management, cancer prevention, and mental health. Apart from these, they taste delicious and can be added to many desserts.
For the crust:
1. 1 cup (125g) Walnuts
2. 200g (7oz) Madjool dates, pitted
3. 2 tablespoons (10g) desiccated coconut
4. 1/4 teaspoon Salt
5. 1 tablespoon coconut oil
For the filling:
6. 2 cups (300g) Raw cashews
7. 1/2 cup (160g) Maple or agave syrup
8. 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
9. Zest from 1 lemon
10. 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
11. 400g (14oz) Full fat coconut milk, refrigerated
12. 250g (9oz) Blueberries, fresh or frozen
1. Soak the cashews in a large bowl overnight.
2. For the crust, grind the walnuts to a fine powder. Add dates, desiccated coconut, salt and coconut oil. Process until sticky dough is formed. Press the mixture into bottom pan. Refrigerate while making filling.
3. To make the filling, drain the soaked cashews and add to a high powered blender or food processor.
Then add blueberries and blend/process for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract and coconut milk. Blend/process until very smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes (scrape the sides of the blender as needed).
5. Pour the filling into the pan and spread evenly.
6. Refrigerate overnight or until fully set. Decorate with blueberries and enjoy your very own vegan cheesecake.
• To get creamy solid coconut milk, it is important to store to coconut milk a few hours in the fridge before the use.
• You can refrigerate the cake or keep in the freezer to make it more stable. But if you store the cake in the freezer, make sure you taking out the form the freezer 20-30 minutes before serving.
You can check out the link below, for a video of this recipe:
Also, if you have interests in learning about the differences between being vegan and vegetarian , do check our article.