We all dream of chasing the rainbow. But did you ever wonder how a rainbow would taste?
A plate full of colourful foods is pleasing to the eyes for sure. But did you ever wonder what other benefits it has? Even the M&Ms are colourful. So why do you need all the fruits and veggies to take it to the next level?
Well, the colours of the fruits and vegetables are due to the nutrients that nature has packed them with. They contain various vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytochemicals. These nutrients also impart the characteristic colours to these foods.
Each colour in the fruits and vegetables is due to a particular phytochemical. Phytochemicals are natural chemicals that protect plants from various threats like germs, bugs and UV rays from the sun.
But what benefit do we get on consuming the foods in a rainbow diet?
Let’s have a good look at the benefits of including each of these colours in our diet and why should we convert to the rainbow diet.
1. Benefits of Red Goodies
Red fruits and vegetables have loads of benefits. The red colour is due to the presence of phytochemicals like lycopene, ellagic acid and beta-carotene.
- Tomatoes help fight prostate cancer.
- Watermelon is also beneficial for this as its lycopene is more bioavailable.
- Strawberries reportedly reverse and reduce oesophagal cancer.
These foods also lower the risk of diabetes, heart ailments and improve skin quality. Some of the most beneficial red foods are beets, cranberries, apples, pomegranate, red peppers and various berries.
2. Magic of Orange and Yellow foods
Orange and yellow fruits and vegetables are high in Vitamin C and carotenoids. Some carotenes, especially beta-carotene, are precursors of Vitamin A. This means that they convert to Vitamin A in the body on consumption. Vitamin A is essential for a healthy eye-sight.
Citrus fruits have a phytochemical called hesperidin. It helps to increase blood flow. The citrus fruits also reduce the risks of a stroke.
Examples of yellow and orange foods that can embellish your plate are:
Citrus fruits, mangoes, papaya, carrots, sweet potatoes, corn, etc.
3. Power-packed Greens
Greens are among the healthiest foods on the planet. They help to charge up the immune system, detoxify the body and help to restore other nutrients.
Green foods also contain folate. It helps to prevent congenital disabilities in pregnant women.
- Broccoli is, reportedly, helpful in boosting up the immune system.
- Kale is said to be helpful with the mood swings.
- Kiwi is seen as a wonder fruit as it has numerous benefits. It helps from the common cold to IBS to DNA damage repairs.
- Cucumbers are great for the digestion.
Other healthy greens are spinach, lettuce, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, green apples, etc.
4. The Blue and Purple Affair
These mainly help to fight the unwanted inflammations and to maintain the youth. They are rich in phytonutrients like anthocyanins and resveratrol. These are said to have anti-cancer and anti-ageing properties.
- Berries like mulberries and blueberries work wonders in repairing the damage from oxidative stress.
- They also help in getting rid of the unwanted inflammation.
- Purple cabbage is said to be an economical superfood which provides a maximum amount of antioxidants per dollar.
Eggplants, plums, prunes, purple grapes are some other examples.
5. The goodness of White and Brown
Just like the bright-coloured ones, white and brown foods also have multiple benefits. These help fight against various cancers, promote bone health and are heart-friendly.
● Cauliflower is rich in an anti-cancer compound, sulforaphane.
● Garlic and onions contain the powerful cancer
fighting compounds allicin and quercetin.
- These are also rich in sulfur.
- White button mushrooms have been found to inhibit the activity of aromatase enzyme.
- These are also helpful in breast cancer cell proliferation.
Potatoes, parsnips, daikon radish, jicama are some other examples.
Including these visually pleasing foods in the rainbow diet can be extremely beneficial. Also, note that consuming one particular item or one particular colour won’t help. You need to balance the proportion of each colour in because our body benefits from the variety. These healthy gems are available in abundance and we are blessed to have them. Then why not utilize them to the fullest!
Wanna read more about superfoods? You can check our article on superfoods and whether they really are super.